Tuesday 17 April 2012

Snail mail ~ Mail art ~ Pen friends

Since joining twitter a couple of years ago, I was once again introduced to the joys of post from far afield. Now, I love post and I actually think that Royal Mail does a great job (their online service is getting there too).  I've always had pen-friends, ever since I was about 5/6 I think.  I have boxes and boxes of letters I received from friends in America over the years.  There was a lull - probably when I joined secondary school - but gradually and especially since University, I have got back into the joys of sending post.

(This particularly cute card is from my friend Alex and you can read her blog here and here.)


I like how it's a bit unpredictable, it's always a surprise and it's nice to use the service for something other than bills and online shopping!  My first experience of something along the mail art lines was actually from Rob Jelinski, who's work is amazing by-the-by and I won a t-shirt of his in a twitter competition.  Shortly after I found Jessica Gowling and am hooked to her lovely arty blog which is full of mail art, art, crafts, and daily life - it's an excellent mix.  I then won another competition, with Jessica Mack aka 'Brown Paper Bunny' or 'Illustratuer', a year of snail mail!  And it is safe to say I've been hooked ever since.




I have recently started exchanging post/mail with Jessica Gowling (Nature's my Friend) and have adored what I have received so far from her.    I love how even the envelopes are so thought out.  As soon as I see it lying on my desk I get excited!  Full of cute cards, stickers and lovely notes, it's just what I need at the end of a day or on my train journey into work.




I think that post/mail is important.  I love to let friends and family know I'm thinking of them whether I'm at home or on holiday somewhere new.  A moment to write and send a card or postcard is hardly anything at all.  I seem to spend a lot of time designing and illustrating cards, I think that this is a need that stems from my love of receiving post! 

Now to put together a response!
X

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree. It's so much nicer to receive something lovely in the mail than e-mail. It's a great experience... and always so surprising!

Jo said...

Oh yes I completely agree - I am all about snail mail so love this post!
(reading your blog for the first time having just found it and think it's lovely - love reading fellow British blogs!)

Anonymous said...

thanks for the sweet words about my letters to you lovey! so happy they make you smile with little paper treats

Unknown said...

i miss receiving snail mail... and i'll feel much much happier now than then if ever i'd receive one because of all social networking sites we're immersing ourselves right now

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say you have a great site and thanks for posting!…

melanie said...

I agree. I am trying also in my own small way to bring back sending post the traditional way.Emailing is great for a quick exchange or less personal stuff but you can't beat getting a nice card in the post !

Charlotte Vallance said...

Thank you all for your lovely feedback!