Tuesday 2 October 2012

A Christening Piece

One of the loveliest commissions I've done ever!  Karen got in touch with me to illustrate a verse/poem for her Nieces who were to be baptised.  The brief was to hand draw the text and illustrate to compliment the script, in a way suitable for children, to go in the girls' bedroom.





' May the long time sun shine upon you
All love surround you
and the pure light within you
guide your way on '


After jotting down a couple of ideas we met for a coffee at the lovely Seasons in Old Amersham to make sure we were both thinking along the same lines.  It's so nice when I'm able to meet with clients to discuss their illustration before I go head on into it.  You can be clearer and get much more across than over email I find.  (If you're on the other side of the world, maybe I can take a holiday?! Or there is always Skype!)

The script is used in Buddhism and while Buddhist imagery would be suitable for adults, neither of us thought so for children.  I focused on the idea of light, and following, being outside (the sun).  I decided to work with a blue (sky) background, with prominent black handwriting text and either kites or butterflies.  Karen loved the idea of butterflies, and we were able to discuss this take on the design and develop it to be relevant for her, the girls and their family.

Do you have a family saying/song/poem that you'd like to see illustrated?  Thinking of my own family, they wouldn't be quite as sweet as this, a bit more jokey, possibly a funny quote from my Nonna that would bring a smile and a tear to the eye all at the same time.




No comments: